** DISCLAMER** The following pictures are pictures that I have taken while at the Philadelphia Art Museum. I don't own any of this work. Also this post is not finished I just felt bad because it's been a week, and this just needed to go out. Hope you enjoy.
This weekend I had the opportunity to go see the "Great and Mighty Things": Outsider Art at the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA). This whole show was about "outsider art." The definition of Outsider Art given by PMA is; outsider art "is art made by people who have not gone to art school, who usually do not operate professionally or earn their livings as artists, and who create, for the most part, with limited or no connection to the art world and its dealers, galleries, collectors, critics, schools, and museums. Not categorized by styles, movements, or trends, it is art made by individuals who are driven to create by their own particular inner compulsions, which may be visionary, derived from memories, evangelical, or popular-culture inspired. It is almost always strongly influenced by local or regional cultures and often is made from found, homemade, or unusual materials." It was amazing to see so many artist that are not formally trained, making such great art. It showed me that I don't necessarily have to go to art school to do what I love and live the way that I want to. Even though I really want to go to art school, and I am, it's not as important as I thought.
This weekend I had the opportunity to go see the "Great and Mighty Things": Outsider Art at the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA). This whole show was about "outsider art." The definition of Outsider Art given by PMA is; outsider art "is art made by people who have not gone to art school, who usually do not operate professionally or earn their livings as artists, and who create, for the most part, with limited or no connection to the art world and its dealers, galleries, collectors, critics, schools, and museums. Not categorized by styles, movements, or trends, it is art made by individuals who are driven to create by their own particular inner compulsions, which may be visionary, derived from memories, evangelical, or popular-culture inspired. It is almost always strongly influenced by local or regional cultures and often is made from found, homemade, or unusual materials." It was amazing to see so many artist that are not formally trained, making such great art. It showed me that I don't necessarily have to go to art school to do what I love and live the way that I want to. Even though I really want to go to art school, and I am, it's not as important as I thought.
There were 27 artist featured; Felipe Benito Archuleta, Eddie Arning, Emery Blagdon, David Butler, Miles B. Carpenter, James Castle, Bruno Del Favero, Sam Doyle, William Edmondson, Howard Finster, Lee Godie, Consuelo González Amezcua, William Hawkins, S. L. Jones, Justin McCarthy, Sister Gertrude Morgan, Elijah Pierce, Martín Ramírez, Wllis Ruley, Jon Serl, Herbert Singleton, Simon Sparrow, BIll Traylor, Eugene Von Bruenchenhein, George Widener, Joseph Yoakum, Purvis Young (click here for all of there descriptions). Although all of these artist were amazing, I did have some favorites. So I will talk about those first and add the pictures of the others later. :D So lets go look at these favorites. Because I liked these all so much they are not in any particular order, just how they were arranged in the show (mostly because thats how I took notes). I am still sifting through the pictures of all the art, so here's what I have so far.
1. Eugene Con Bruenchenhein
Bruenchenhein was born in Marienette Wisconsin in 1910, and died in Milwaukee in 1983. The work that was shown in the gallery consisted of sculptures. Although that is all that was shown, it is not all he does. Bruenchenhein also did photography and paintings. Out of all of the pieces shown, my favorite were the Chicken Bone Tower and Chicken Bone Thrones.

6. Simon Sparrow
COMING SOON HE WAS MY FAVORITE SO SPARKLY!!! SO MUCH TO SAY!!!

8.Jon Serl (Coming Soon)
10. Martin Ramierez (Coming soon)
11. Joseph Yoalun(Coming soon)

1. Eugene Con Bruenchenhein
Bruenchenhein was born in Marienette Wisconsin in 1910, and died in Milwaukee in 1983. The work that was shown in the gallery consisted of sculptures. Although that is all that was shown, it is not all he does. Bruenchenhein also did photography and paintings. Out of all of the pieces shown, my favorite were the Chicken Bone Tower and Chicken Bone Thrones.
2. William Hawkins

5. William Edmondson
6. Simon Sparrow
COMING SOON HE WAS MY FAVORITE SO SPARKLY!!! SO MUCH TO SAY!!!
7. Howard Finster

8.Jon Serl (Coming Soon)
10. Martin Ramierez (Coming soon)
11. Joseph Yoalun(Coming soon)
12. David Butler





































No comments:
Post a Comment